We all love our relatives with nice cameras, and as hobbyists, they can give you all of the images in the world for that magical amount…FREE!
But when it comes to hiring a professional photographer for a portrait session, it’s important to understand that these photographers do not work for free nor for ✨exposure✨, and there are valid reasons behind this practice.
Here are some points to consider when thinking about requesting a free photoshoot from a professional photographer:
- Time and expertise: A professional photographer invests a significant amount of time and effort in developing their skills and honing their craft. They have a deep understanding of composition, lighting, posing, and other technical aspects necessary to create stunning photographs. These skills come from years of practice, training, and continuous learning. By hiring a professional, you are benefiting from their knowledge and experience, as well as the expertise of their mentors, coaches, and educators.
- Equipment and resources: Professional portrait photography often requires specialized equipment and tools to achieve the desired results. Professional photographers invest a considerable amount of money in high-quality cameras, lenses, lighting equipment, and post-processing software. They also bear the cost of maintaining and upgrading their gear to stay current with the latest technology. By hiring a photographer, you are not only paying for their time but also for the use of their professional-grade equipment.
- Pre-production and planning: A successful portrait session involves careful planning and preparation. Before the actual shoot, photographers spend time building a team, discussing ideas, selecting locations, coordinating outfits and props, and ensuring that everything is in place for a seamless experience. They invest their expertise and creativity into curating a unique and personalized session tailored to the client’s vision. This level of attention to detail and customization requires time and effort, which is reflected in the cost of the session.
- Post-production and editing: The process of creating exceptional portraits doesn’t end with the photoshoot itself. Professional photographers dedicate a significant amount of time to post-processing and editing the images to bring out their full potential. This involves color correction, retouching, enhancing details, and ensuring the final images meet the highest quality standards. These editing skills are part of the photographer’s artistic vision and are crucial in delivering stunning final results.
- Value and investment: Investing in a professional portrait session goes beyond just getting a few nice pictures. For example, fine art photography captures emotion, tells a story, and creates timeless works of art that can be cherished for generations. The photographs become heirlooms, representing moments and memories that will be treasured forever. By hiring a professional photographer and paying for their services, you are investing in a unique experience and creating a lasting legacy that holds immense value.
It’s essential to recognize and respect the expertise, time, and resources that professionals bring to the table. By compensating them for their work, you are not only ensuring the best possible outcome of your own portraits but also supporting their artistic endeavors and enabling them to continue producing remarkable photographs for others. Of course there are situations where trades for services or a mutually beneficial collaboration can occur, but it is important not to assume that a professional photographer is willing to do this. Afterall, you get what you pay for.
Now answer this, would you go to your place of employment and work for free? Comment below!
Want to learn more about investing in portraiture at Elle Rosegold Studio? Send a message below or schedule a consultation here.
This month’s images feature the beautiful ballerina, Kaitlyn. She gracefully showcased her ballet skills for my class at the Texas School of Photography back in April where I learned from the Master Portrait Artist, Kristi Elias.
Guest Post by Adobe Express Choosing to invest in professional portrait photography as a means of boosting your self-confidence can be a game changer. Every one of us has those days where we feel like we're not on top of our game, and sometimes that can last longer...